Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Practices on the smooth running of a home (Part III)

This evening my Aunt asked me if this very short exposure to matronly housekeeping had daunted me in any way; it's funny she should ask because I was thinking of my answer earlier this afternoon. By now I have gotten into a daily routine and the events of the day come more naturally than they had on Monday.
So in the humblest way that I could, I said no it was not daunting to me for the simple reason that these are not my children. My responsibility for them begins when Uncle Marcos walks out the door and it ends when he comes home in the evening. I do greatly enjoy caring for them and they have caused me to be reminded of and learn many things but it will end next Wednesday.
Please don't get me wrong, I am not making light of the homemaking duties of a mother. There are so many things I know that Aunt Amparo does on a daily basis that I am not doing in the days that I have here. My Mom works very hard at home and most of what she does no one sees, but it is so important to our home!
That is something that I have thought of while being here; keeping house requires a great deal of humility and patience.
For example, I could clean a kitchen after breakfast in fifteen minutes on my own, but with Noah rinsing the dishes it takes almost double the time. However it is important for him to practice the patience of completing a chore and and helping in the kitchen.
I hope that one day I will be able to keep house with someone and use at least a bit of everything that I have learned here.
The humility comes in when you work diligently at something that you may never be thanked for, especially little things. And its not as if the people around you mean to be ungrateful; its just that they may not see just what it is that you do or the work and effort you put into a task.

I hope that someday I will be able to keep house and put into practice the lessons I have learned from the different women in my life, in particular the things I have learned while being here.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin