Monday, October 6, 2008

Hospitality

I am one of "Those" people that poetry is number two on my list of things that compel, uplift, or inspire me. I love reading the words of David, Longfellow, Tennyson, Wordsworth, and--well you get the idea.
So here is a poem that I cherish and will someday put in my hopechest:
Hospitality
Blest be that spot where cheerful guests retire
To pause from toil, and trim their fire;
Blest that abode, where want and painrepair,
And every stranger finds a ready chair:
Blest be those feast with simple plenty crown'd,
Where all the ruddy family around
Laugh at the jest pity or pranks, that never fail,
Or sigh with pity at some mournful tale,
Or press the bashful stranger to his food,
And learn the luxury of doing good.
~Oliver Goldsmith
From Verses of Virtue
I hope that someday the same can be said of my home.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin