Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Verse of the...

Well, I've gotten very behind in the "Verse of the Day" posts. It has gotten hard to post something everyday, even scripture. And so I've decided to post a verse of the week instead.

I had been using the Psalms of the Day approach to my posts. Last May my family and I attended a conference hosted by our church with Donald Whitney as our guest speaker. He introduced an old/new approach to prayer. He said the common problem with prayer is that, "We say the same old things about the same old things." But the solution is quite simple: when you pray, pray through a passage of Scripture, especially a Psalm.

"Simply go through the passage, line-by-line, praying what you find in the text or what it brings to mind. If nothing comes to mind, or if you don't understand the verse, go to the next."
"One approach to choosing a Psalm to pray through is the 'Psalms of the Day' approach. This divides 150 Psalms into 5 Psalms for each of 30 days in a month. Take the day of the month as your first Psalm. Then keep adding 30 to that number until you get 5 Psalms. So on the 15th of the month, your first Psalm is Psalm 15. To Psalm 15, add 30 to get to the next one, Psalm 45. Those would be followed by Psalm 75, 105, and 135."

I found this very helpful in prayer life; it truly puts the focus on God. The Psalms are devoted to God and His glory; they were inspired by God for the purpose of being reflected in song back to God. I hope you will try this method.

In Christ,
Micaela

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin