Tuesday, May 29, 2012

The Means of Grace are in My Hand

I found this hymn in the book, A Portrait of Paul (excellent book which I highly recommend).  In the particular chapter the hymn came from, the authors wrote to their fellow pastors about the subject of the apostle Paul's ministry -Christ.

"It is Christ alone whom we are to preach and Christ only who can enable us, by His Spirit, to preach in this way. Do you feel the weight of this duty? Good! Then we are ready to fall on our faces and plead with God to equip us in mind and heart and soul and strength to serve His glory by exalting His Son, Jesus Christ."

The whole book is filled with great quotes, I could hardly stop underling! It is a great book for church member and pastors. We went through this book as a small group study, at a friend's house.


The Means of Grace are in My Hand 

The means of grace are in my hand
The blessing is at God’s command
Who must the work fulfill;
And though I read, and watch and pray,
Yet here the Lord directs my way
And worketh all things still.

I cannot speak a proper word,
Nor think aright, but from the Lord
Preparing heart and tongue;
In Nature I can see no good,
But all my good proceeds from God,
And does to grace belong.

I see it now, and do confess
My utter need of Jesus’ grace,
And of His Spirit’s light;
I beg his kind and daily care;
O Lord, my heart and tongue prepare
To think and speak aright.

Prepare my heart to love thee well,
And love Thy truth which doth excel,
And love thy children dear;
Instruct me how to live by faith,
And feel the virtue of Thy death,
And find Thy presence near.

Prepare my tongue to pray and praise,
To speak of providential ways,
And heavenly truth unfold;
To strengthen well a feeble soul,
Correct the Wanton, rouse the dull,
And silence sinners bold.

           - John Berridge     
I stumbled upon a christian blogger from the Philippines who had posted this hymn. Tell me what you think.                                      

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin