Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Think again

"...discretion will watch over you,understanding will guard you, delivering you from the way of evil, from men of perverted speech..."

"...men whose paths are crooked,and who are devious in their ways..."
"...The sorrows of those who run after another god shall multiply..."
During the past few months, well better make that years, there have been seasons in my life that have made me think of the Bible differently.
Verses that were simply made up of words now have meaning; they are associated with events and times in my life.
Passages like the ones above hold a new meaning for me now; I am not saying that the Bible has ever-changing, new messages especially for me.
However, now I know what it is to be protected by discretion and understanding (Not always my own-usually by my parents); thankfully I have been delivered from "men of perverted speech". I have seen devious men; I know people who are in miserable and tragic states because they have run after another god, unfortunately some are still running.
These are a few examples of the passages that have become so precious to me.
They are precious because now I have a better understanding of what the writer means when he expresses joy or pain, loneliness or contentment.
Needless to say, I don't go thought the scriptures the way I did when I was ten; life at that time really didn't hold much true pain or sorrow. In the short span of eight years, the Lord has done much to continually draw me close and sanctify me.
For example, as I write this, I am reminded of the book of James.
We are going through it verse by verse during family devotions; we are currently in verse four.
Verses two through four have most recently been a source of strength for me.
"Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing."
Previously I seemed to glaze over the "when you meet trials" bit; notice James didn't say "if" but "when".
And the "various kinds" part didn't really hold much meaning until different circumstances came to pass in my life. But thankfully the Lord does not make us go through these trials without a purpose: that we may be "perfect and complete, lacking nothing."
I am so thankful for God's unending patience and grace in my life.
It is because of the "difficult times" that I can praise Him in this "new" way.
This causes me to humbly thank Him for what He has done, and to look forward to what He will do in the future.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin