Thursday, September 4, 2008

Psalm 18


This past month I was reading in the psalms and I came across a very encouraging passage:
Psalm 18: 1-19 and 30
I love you, O Lord, my strength. The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.
I call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised, and I am saved from my enemies.
The cords of death encompassed me; the torrents of destruction assailed me; the cords of Sheol entangled me; the snares of death confronted me. In my distress I called upon the Lord; to my God I cried for help. From his temple he heard my voice, and my cry to him reached his ears. Then the earth reeled and rocked; the foundations also of the mountains trembled and quaked, because he was angry. Smoke went up from his nostrils, and devouring fire from his mouth; glowing coals flamed forth from him. He bowed the heavens and came down; thick darkness was under his feet. He rode on a cherub and flew; he came swiftly on the wings of the wind. He made darkness his covering, his canopy around him, thick clouds dark with water. Out of the brightness before him hailstones and coals of fire broke through his clouds. The Lord also thundered in the heavens, and the Most High uttered his voice, hailstones and coals of fire. And he sent out his arrows and scattered them; he flashed forth lightnings and routed them. Then the channels of the sea were seen, and the foundations of the world were laid bare at your rebuke, O Lord, at the blast of the breath of your nostrils. He sent from on high, he took me; he drew me out of many waters. He rescued me from my strong enemy and from those who hated me, for they were too mighty for me. They confronted me in the day of my calamity, but the Lord was my support. He brought me out into a broad place; he rescued me, because he delighted in me.
This was so awe-inspiring for me! I could just picture everything happening and I came to a greater realizaition of His great love for me! How He cares for us and comes to our aid because He delights in us! After reading this section it made me go back to the first verses, loving Him deeper! And when you read further you will see (V:30)
This God his way is perfect; the word of the Lord proves true; he is a shield for all those who take refuge in him.
This was special for me because there are times when it feels like I have already read all of scripture before ("Same song, second verse"); when I feel too familiar with the things in scripture. I suppose that comes from growing up in a Christian home, I really have heard the major portions (Creation, Noah's ark, Jonah etc..) over and over, I am prone to miss the truly amazing things that the Lord has done and to find wonder in them. So when I come to passages like these I feel that sweet awe of my Savior that I didn't before!
I pray that the Lord will continue to bring His word to my mind in such a wonderful way.
Also I highly encourage you to read the rest of the chapter!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin