Wednesday, August 1, 2012

memorize


Lately I've been sweetly reminded of the beauty and importance of committing scripture to memory. Have you seen a set of delightful children (ranging between two and eleven years old) recite the entire chapter of Proverbs one, most of chapter two, and Ephesians four? Yes, the sight would sweetly remind you too.
Most mornings (after an Insane workout), I spend time in God's Word, reading, studying, and writing; I also take that time to read this encouraging and thought-provoking book (excellent read!). While these are great habits, I've neglected to include the memorization of the very Words that bring me through the storms of life.
Praise God for beautiful reminders. :)

So, yesterday I thought about what passage of scripture I would start with, and it seemed that memorizing the book I most frequently reference would be fitting. :)


Therefore, having this ministry by the mercy of God, we do not lose heart. But we have renounced disgraceful, underhanded ways. We refuse to practice cunning or to tamper with God's word, but by the open statement of the truth we would commend ourselves to everyone's conscience in the sight of God. And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing. In their case the god of this world has blinded the minds of the unbelievers, to keep them from seeing the light of the gospel of the glory of Christ, who is the image of God. For what we proclaim is not ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, with ourselves as your servants for Jesus' sake. For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.
(2 Corinthians 4:1-6 )

How do you memorize scripture? What passages are important to you?

4 comments:

Emily Johnson said...

The best thing I've found for Scripture memory is a motivated accountability partner. And my sister Jennifer is just about the best Scripture-memorizer I know. :) So we have a morning Skype call and work on reciting our verses to each other for 15 minutes or so. It helps when we're working through the same passage together. Right now we are memorizing 1 Peter 1 and we add about one new verse each day.

The second best thing I've found is writing up the passage I'm memorizing, laminating the paper, and then hanging it somewhere in my shower so that I can meditate on it every morning. It would be easy for me to forget to work on Scripture memory every day, but it's harder to forget to take a shower. ;)

Oh! Third thing. I downloaded the YouVersion app and Alexander Scourby's KJV recording of the Bible on my iPhone. (I think you could also download the audio to an iPod or other MP3 player.) Then I listen to the passage I'm memorizing periodically when I'm driving or when I'm jogging.

That is a beautiful passage you are memorizing. I am looking forward to hearing it next time I see you. ;)

Elena said...

Wow, Emily, these are great ideas! I love the laminating one, and I think you're right, consistency is key.

Hurrah, now I'm really motivated to memorize soon. :)

Ruth said...

Hi Elena! What a beautiful post. We have been working harder on the memorization with our children. We are currently finishing up Psalm 63. We usually make it a practice to go over it at lunch time. It is amazing how much even our youngest ones are absorbing. Teaching my children is a great way to teach myself in the process. :) We are also learning many verses set to music. There is a web site where you can print out tons of Scriptures set to music. It has been fun to learn those little melodies and hear my children singing Scripture off and on throughout the day. Thanks for the encouragement!

Ruth

Elena said...

What a great resource, thank you! Being a more creative person I can definitely see how setting scripture to a song would make things easy.

I hope you're doing well!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin